Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Journal Entry for March 7, 2022








March 7, 2022

Here I am again, sitting and writing whatever comes into my mind.  If this turns out to be a decent piece of literature, I will be happy, but that is not necessary.  It is essential that I am writing again.

My blood sugar level continues to give me enough concern that I monitor it closely.  I should also be concerned about my weight, but I haven’t hit bottom on that yet.  If the pictures taken at the restaurant where we celebrated my late birthday last week don’t cause me to stop and go back on Weight Watchers, I don’t know what will.  I was the biggest thing in the room, especially compared to my friend Joan, who had been sick and looked thin in the pictures, and I looked like an elephant next to a meerkat.

My hair is another thing.  I have the I-haven’t-been-to-a-hairdresser-in-two-years COVID-19 look, with hair hanging halfway down my back.  I look like a late 1960s hippie.  I am nervous about going to a hairdresser for two reasons:  (1) I’m still afraid of COVID germs; and (2) I don’t know what kind of haircut I want.  Number 2 is quickly settled.  Number 1 will take some doing.  If I trust myself in someone else’s hands, I want those hands to be COVID-free.  Since I cannot guarantee that, I might have to table any plans to cut my hair soon and look up some long-hair styles.

The hippie look is complete when I decide to wear a tie-dyed blouse like in those pictures in the restaurant.

This reminds me.  I am now seventy-six years old.  If sixty is the new middle-age, I am getting well enough past it to be entering into old lady territory.  I am not ready to be an old lady yet.  If I live to be ninety or one-hundred, I’ll be an old lady, and even then, I’ll think about it.  I hope the march of middle-age will keep up with my aging so that I will always be a younger woman, even when I am white-haired and in a wheelchair.  I know, this doesn’t make sense.  Neither do half the things I say.  I’m like that.

In the meantime, here I am, sitting and writing journal entries and editing a building newsletter every month.  At least that’s something.

No comments:

ADVENTURES IN SLOPPY HOUSEKEEPING: DUSTING THE FURNITURE

I don’t know what prehistoric housewives did to keep dust off their furniture if they had any.   If they did anything at all, it must have b...