Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Journal Entry for March 8, 2022

 







March 8, 2022

I don’t know what to say here.  My life isn’t exciting.  I never competed in the Olympics.  I am not a CEO of a Fortune 500 company.  I don’t travel the world and write about my adventures.  I don’t have adventures, at least not deliberately.  If I have an adventure, it is strictly by accident and probably not something I wanted to happen.  So why am I bothering to write about my life?

The funny thing is, other people find my life more interesting than I do.  For example, when I tell people I used to sing opera, I get a reaction like it is a fascinating thing.  It was a lot of work, rejection interspersed with some acceptance and a good deal of loneliness.  However, when I gave a good performance that went just right and got a good response from the audience, there was nothing like it.  So yes, I guess that part of my life can be considered interesting.  Most people don’t sing opera for various reasons, and I did.  I still would if anyone wanted to hire a 76-year-old former soprano who doesn’t have a High C anymore but still has the rest of the voice well intact.

I do sing in church every Sunday and whenever they have a funeral or a wedding.  People in the neighborhood have been known to stop me on the street and ask me if I am the lady who sings in church.  Apparently, they like my voice.  That always gives me a lift.  It makes me feel good to know that I am reaching people with my singing, even though it is easy music and not always very inspiring.  I try to sing it in a way that will move people.  It’s nice to know that I sometimes succeed.

In the meantime, though, mainly being retired, I sit in my apartment almost every day and try to find something to occupy myself.  This isn’t easy.  I take that back.  It would be a lot easier if I would pay more attention to things, like online exercise programs offered by my local senior center.  When I do pay attention and attend these, I feel better.  The problem is getting myself going.  Exercise is a dirty word.  I don’t even like to walk to church anymore, although my church is only a couple of blocks from where I live.  I usually take an Uber car.  This not only keeps me from exercising by walking, but it also revs up my credit card balance.  That doesn’t keep me from calling Uber every Sunday, going and coming.  Sometimes, I think I singlehandedly keep the Uber company going in The Bronx.

If, after all this, you still think my life is interesting, go ahead.  I don’t find it as interesting as you do, but maybe with a bit of help, I’ll stir it up a little.

No comments:

ADVENTURES IN SLOPPY HOUSEKEEPING: DUSTING THE FURNITURE

I don’t know what prehistoric housewives did to keep dust off their furniture if they had any.   If they did anything at all, it must have b...