Friday, March 25, 2022

A Writer's Lament







Okay.  I have to think of a good opening sentence for this little essay.  Good opening sentences are vital because they can make a reader want to read further or turn them off.  So I have to think of something that will grab a person and hold their attention.

But what if I have a great opening sentence and the rest of my essay is stupid?  I’ll have to take that chance.  I am not a stupid person.  At least, I’ve been told I’m intelligent, so I have to believe it.  So okay, my essay is not likely to turn out stupid.  Dullness is another thing.  My writing could be dull after I grabbed a person’s attention and made them read more than the opening sentence.  The poor reader will never forgive me for the boredom that ensues.  They will blame me for wasting time out of their life and for the disappointment that comes when my writing doesn’t meet their expectations.

What is a writer to do?  Writing an exciting piece that engages a reader all the way through requires work.  It takes thought, imagination, a good vocabulary, and other writing tools.  A humor writer even needs a good sense of humor, without which you can’t write anything funny.  This is a lot to ask of a person whose only desire is to put words on a computer screen and have people read them and like what they read.  But whoever said life was easy?

So here I am, trying to think of a way to open an essay that will, hopefully, turn out to be something that will give a reader some enjoyment.  If you are reading this, I hope you appreciate me.

No comments:

ADVENTURES IN SLOPPY HOUSEKEEPING: DUSTING THE FURNITURE

I don’t know what prehistoric housewives did to keep dust off their furniture if they had any.   If they did anything at all, it must have b...