Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Journal Entry for February 24, 2022


 

February 24, 2022

So here I am, sitting at my computer, typing what will probably turn out to be a journal entry.  I don’t know what this will turn out to be, and it probably won’t be a masterpiece, which is disappointing but not unexpected.

I am trying to cure myself of a very long period of writer’s block.  I don’t know if I have real writer’s block or I’m just being lazy and depressed.  If I manage to cut through it here, I’ll be happy.

I turned 76 two days ago.  This is frightening, and it means that I’ll be 80 years old in four years.  Where did my life go?  It didn’t take very long to get to be 76 years old.  Wasn’t it just yesterday when I was walking the campus of Eastern Washington State College, away from home for the first time in my life?  Didn’t I just write a cliché?  Oh well, I’m entitled to one cliché here.  Those are the rules, which I made up myself.

Well, I just managed to stray from the subject.  I am getting older, and this is scary.  My finances are not strong, and I am terrified of ending up old and poor.  My therapist suggested that I take some action now to see if I can apply for Medicaid and other forms of help for seniors.  That’s a good idea.  I think I will call the Riverdale Senior Services center and see if I can talk to the social worker there.

I was right.  This is NOT turning out to be a masterpiece.

Why do I care about having my writing be correct and polished the first time around?  The thing is to WRITE.  I can edit later if I want to.  In the meantime, most likely, nobody else will read this, so my reputation as a writer is safe.

It isn’t as if I haven’t accomplished anything in the last few days and weeks.  I put in an application for food stamps, complete with documentation.  I did my taxes (hooray!), and I will get a substantial refund from the federal government and a little one from the State of New York.  I am not missing any good television programs.  I brought an empty box downstairs for disposal.  I sang at a funeral on my birthday, two days ago.  March’s Corlear Gardens Newsletter is ready to go.  I’m still bored as hell, with time on my hands.

I will try to get out of the apartment for at least a little while today, and maybe that will help.

In the meantime, I can always sit and write.

 

No comments:

ADVENTURES IN SLOPPY HOUSEKEEPING: DUSTING THE FURNITURE

I don’t know what prehistoric housewives did to keep dust off their furniture if they had any.   If they did anything at all, it must have b...